🌎 You probably already know how critical the issues with our climate and environment are. We know we’ve gotta do something about it, but it’s harder to take action when we don’t know how to help as businesses.
On the regulatory side of things, governments have successfully introduced environmental taxes on businesses to protect the lives in their charge.
Malcolm Fairbrother, a sociology professor at Umeå University in Stockholm, shares a few of these success stories. Polluting industries responded positively to the pollution taxes imposed on them, nudging them to make more sustainable choices for commerce.
But it’s not enough.
From a business perspective, there are economically viable things an entrepreneur can do to save the environment. For example, new business models have developed with their focus on fixing the environment with profits. Green entrepreneurs.
There are openings in executive positions for Chief Sustainability Officers. There are Clean Energy Consultants, who provide businesses with strategies to increase their profits while saving the planet.
But it’s still not enough, not everyone can be green entrepreneurs.
So, we need everyone on board with sustainability in every industry to really make a difference. If we could all implement a few key changes, we’re closer to saving the planet.
That’s why we put together a list of 15 key practices that entrepreneurs & businesses should implement to make their businesses more sustainable, especially for remote companies.
These key changes are still useful for a remote company where people come together in person or telecommute, or do both. What's most important is that you implement them in your business.
- Prefer sustainable businesses for purchases & partnerships.
- Hire people who really believe in sustainable business practices, and encourage their contributions.
- Educate employees and start conversations in work discussions.
- Collaborate with other businesses for environmentally positive actions — beach cleanups, staged protests, recycling projects, bee farms, tree-planting projects and community engagement.
- Celebrate & encourage businesses on the frontlines of environmental activism, such as Patagonia and Ecosia.
- Publish & share good news about the environment on social media.
- Contribute a token of your profits through verified channels (such as One Percent for the Planet).
- Make sustainability a core value of your business. Always ask, “Is this sustainable?”
- Shift to renewable energy to power your business.
- Leverage the influence on your clients and market to educate & raise awareness on sustainable practices.
- Pay attention to the materials used in packaging your products, and logistics.
- Ask employees to hold you accountable for your sustainability promises.
- Challenge the whole company to reduce its carbon footprint and provide incentives for consistency and innovation.
- Collaborate with other businesses in your industry to switch to sustainable practices to properly reflect the costs of doing business sustainably. More on that below.
Our planet needs entrepreneurs like you who care enough to make the small but key changes to save it. Doing a little is always better than doing nothing. 🚀🌎 You probably already know how critical the issues with our climate and environment are. We know we’ve gotta do something about it, but it’s harder to take action when we don’t know how to help as businesses.